Home Forums General Draft Constitution

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  David Pearl 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Jan Goulding

In terms of some of the points being raised. We would need to have at the very least a draft constitution in place in order to start the SCIO process. SCVO is not the organisation that oversees these. You would need to look at the OSCR is the site you should be looking at to get the registration and governance. As there are very strong signals that indyref2 is likely to be late next year this is something that we should stop sitting on. It’s also unfair to start stalling the process now when we have been chasing to get this progressed.

Timothy Puntis
    Participant

Jan:

SCVO site has a great tool, very easy to understand, with a step by step plan to make an SCIO application. I recommend everyone look at it, it is better than the guidance provided by OSCR itself.

There should be less of a sense that the National constitution is being rushed through at a meeting to which, the over 1,400 members on Facebook will not have been given enough notice for. We need robust democracy, and to ensure that, we must follow the usual procedures. We must not be a small cabal making undemocratic decisions about things such as constitutions.

It would be very interesting to hear your sources for indicating a referendum as early as you say. My SNP branch are not planning for that timetable. I’m wondering if (and why) there is something they don’t know.

Steve West
    Keymaster

I worry that we will rush through an unsuitable draft constitution that we are then unable to amend, because either we have set an impossibly high quorum for general meetings, or because we are unable to agree on amendments in future by a two-thirds majority. Rushing now could hamper us later by locking in structures that don’t work for us, and we could waste a lot of time in future trying to fix it when we will need to be campaigning.

I think we need to work on the draft constitution to address points raised in this discussion, then call an inaugrual general meeting to ratify it in the new year. At that inaugrual meeting, we can set the date of our first AGM, which doesn’t have to be a year after the ratification meeting (eg it can be at a time of year which is more suitable for travel and takes into account May elections and autumn party conferences).

We need to answer Tim’s question about who gets to vote on this draft constitution whenever we do meet to ratify it. Is it an initial group of activists or the whole membership?. Is the membership everyone in the facebook group, as the name of the group implies, or is it some smaller list somewhere?

Jan Goulding

Some of the points you are raising are what this meeting is supposed to address. Until we have something, even in draft form, we cannot have a group bank account, or start the SCIO process. On top of that right now the only person who is responsible/liable for the group’s actions is Math, with no requirement to be democratic, which is what we are trying to resolve. There has been some discussion with individuals as to what should constitute membership, but this needs to be discussed more thoroughly (I personally don’t think following a Facebook group should constitute membership, and there are a few other ways we could measure this, but other people will have a different view).

I would also say we can’t really start constitution discussions at branch level whist stalling the start of the process for national. If we are going to insist that the national meeting be postponed until the new year then the constitution should be taken off the branch agenda for the next meeting.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Jan Goulding.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Jan Goulding.

Timothy Puntis
    Participant

Hmm. Jan, I think we are all, in the Edinburgh group at least, responsible for what the group does. That may not be true legally, but it is morally. We will need our own Edin. bank account soon, but there is no immediate rush which might cause us to do something ill-considered, or undemocratic.

Groups affiliated to WFI all have their own constitutions. These were constructed separately from WFI’s. We need not see National and our local constitutions being tied to each other in any way.

If you, Jan, or anyone else, is constructing an agenda, (or agendas) for our next meeting, please include in it a detailed discussion of our finances including who is owed what and for what, so we can all have a proper understanding of the current situation re. money. It could be done quickly if a written version is made available here or better, on the open FaceBook members page.

Any more info on the possible timing of the next Independence Referendum?

Jan Goulding

Again here we have an issue. The original idea put forward is that only national have the bank account and do that majority of spending for the groups in terms of purchasing campaigning packs. So for example the cost price of tshirts is £5, so if that is what we are selling them for at stalls the edinburgh group have no money because this is transferred directly to national. We were supplied with materials in May, but the cash raised on these needs to paid back to national. If the national group decide to continue this policy, then we could, at branch level, find ourselves in the same position that Steve is worried about happening at National, in that we have a hastily constructed constitution that does not fit the situation and is difficult to change.

I also recall that at the point when I started explaining the whole situation with the finances, rather that listen you were expecting an explanation of finances that were not within the purview of Edinburgh branch. Further more on trying to explain about cash spend for the group but not being reclaimed I was told “we already know this”.

David Pearl
    Participant

Distance signposts in Scotland currently show distances in miles, while normal European Union signposts show kilometers. Speed limits in Scotland are currently specified in miles per hour. Speed limits in normal European Union nations are specified in kilometers per hour (km/h). We feel that Scotland should be under one united government and remain a member of the European Union. Our road signage should only display measurements proscribed by Directive 80/181/EEC, which requires EU member states to standardise on the International System. We do not want the British mile cluttering our beautiful nation. We are European. We want one measurement system. We want Scotland back.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.